Tehran has confirmed that the next round of paused negotiations to revive the ailing 2015 Iran deal will be hosted by a Persian Gulf country, following reports by Qatar’s Al Jazeera network and Iran’s Nour News that the involved parties may head to Doha to continue the talks.
Iran’s outgoing Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh told a news conference on Monday morning that the sides will decide on the next venue of the talks and the exact date within hours.
“Inshallah (God willing), one of the countries in the Persian Gulf will be the host, and the meeting will take place in the coming days of the current week,” Khatibzadeh told reporters.
The talks were initially launched last April but have already hit two months-long pauses. All previous rounds have been held in Austria’s capital, Vienna.
On the agenda is to restore to full force the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), commonly known as the Iran deal, which the US abandoned in 2018 and has tried to kill since then.
In quitting the JCPOA, former US president Donald Trump introduced what he called the “maximum pressure” campaign of sanctions to bring Iran to its knees. Tehran demands the removal of all those sanctions.
In the meantime, Mohammad Marandi, an advisor to the Iranian negotiating team, was quoted by Al-Araby Al-Jadeed on Sunday as saying that Iran had selected Qatar as a “friendly country” to host the talks.
By PRESS TV