Press TV – China’s Foreign Ministry again urges the US to abandon its policy of “maximum pressure” targeting Iran, and stop obstructing implementation of a 2015 nuclear accord between the Islamic Republic and other countries.
Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying made the remarks at a press briefing on Monday, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
The United States left the agreement, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), last May. This is while the deal — which has the UK, France, Russia, China, and Germany as its other signatories — has been ratified in the form of a United Nations Security Council resolution. Washington also returned the sanctions that had been lifted by the accord.
Hua said ensuring full and effective implementation of the JCPOA was both the requirement of the Security Council and the only viable and effective approach to deescalating standing tensions.
He was asked about the proceedings of a meeting recently held in Vienna among the JCPOA’s signatories.
A Chinese delegation led by officials with the Ministry’s Department of Arms Control attended the meeting, he said.
According to Hua, the Chinese side called on all parties to remain calm and exercise restraint, promote easing of the current tensions, and resolve differences within the framework of the Joint JCPOA Commission’s meetings.
At the meeting, the parties reaffirmed their commitment to the JCPOA, and reiterated their opposition to the US’s adoption of unilateral sanctions and “long-armed jurisdiction” to obstruct other countries’ implementation of the nuclear deal, Xinhua cited Hua has saying.
The Islamic Republic has called the meeting “constructive.” It, however, has also recurrently reminded the remaining deal partners that they should not expect it to be the only side complying with the accord, while they forsake Tehran’s entitlements, including its business interests, under the agreement.