Army chief underlines failure of US plots to topple Islamic Republic on 40th anniversary

FNA – Commander of Iranian Army Major General Seyed Abdolrahim Mousavi stressed that Washington has failed in its plot to overthrow the Islamic Republic in Iran on its 40th anniversary.

“Enemy officials had officially declared that the Islamic Iran will not see the 40th anniversary of its revolution, and they had and are still planning for this to happen and are spending billions of dollars too,” General Mousavi said, addressing army commanders in Tehran on Saturday.

He underscored the US and its allies’ failure in toppling the Islamic Republic on the 40th anniversary of Revolution (1979), saying that they “instead received a blow from somewhere they never expected and failed”.

His remarks alluded to the comments by US National Security Advisor John Bolton who had said in a gathering of the Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO, also known as MEK, NCR, NCRI and PMOI) terrorist group in Paris last year that the Islamic Republic would be overthrown before it could celebrate the 40th anniversary of its Revolution.

Millions of Iranians in Tehran and other cities throughout the country poured to the streets on February 11 to show their unconditional support for the Islamic Republic through staging massive rallies, marking the 40th anniversary of the victory of the Islamic Revolution in Iran.

Huge masses of people from all walks of life converged on streets and squares all over the country to express their support for the cause and ideals of the Islamic Revolution.

A sum of 6,500 Iranian and foreign journalists, reporters and photographers covered the Bahman 22 (February 11) rallies this year.

Days before the rallies, the Leader said the ‘Death to American’ motto chanted by Iranians is aimed at White House rulers who happen to be President Donald Trump, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Bolton in the current administration and not the American people.

Few months earlier in December, Ayatollah Khamenei had also warned the Iranian nation to remain vigilant against new US plots for the next year, saying that Washington might have made done the propaganda this year, but be readying to stage the main part of its plot in 2019.

“Earlier this year, the US claimed that Iran was to have a hard summer and that the revolution wouldn’t see its 40th anniversary. To their dismay, this summer was one of the best summers; and the Iranian nation will magnificently celebrate the 40th anniversary of the revolution on 22nd of Bahman (February 11),” Ayatollah Khamenei said, addressing the family members of the Islamic Revolution’s martyrs in Tehran.

The Leader of the Islamic Revolution of Iran called for the Iranian nation to keep vigilant in the face of deceits by the US, saying, “The Iranian nation should maintain their awareness. When the US says in 2018 they will do this or that, it could be a deceitful plot. They might want to stir controversy in 2018 while their actual plots are for 2019. You should be completely ready and alerted.”

Ayatollah Khamenei described the US as a vicious enemy, and said, “The US is a wicked enemy, united with the Zionists and the reactionary regimes of the region. We are of course stronger and until now they have been unable to do a thing, and they won’t be able to anything in the future.”