Tasnim – An Iranian military commander stressed the need for the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission (IHFFC) to launch a probe into the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared last week during a visit to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
Speaking to Tasnim on Monday, commander of the missing in action (MIA) search committee of Iran’s Armed Forces General Staff, General Seyed Mohammad Baqerzadeh, said the international community, including the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission as well as the society of independent journalists, should conduct investigations into possible death of Khashoggi, who has been reportedly killed and dismembered inside the Saudi consulate building in Istanbul.
The death of Khashoggi is suspicious because he supported the Yemeni people and an end to the cruel Saudi-led war against Yemen, the commander added.
Baqerzadeh said an inquest into his death would enlighten the world public opinion and prevent the recurrence of similar incidents.
According to the Arabic-language Al-Khaleej Al-Jadid news website, citing an informed source, Khashoggi has been tortured to death during interrogation inside the Saudi consulate.
A leading critic of the Saudi regime’s reform program under the stewardship of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), Khashoggi had been living in self-imposed exile in the US since 2017, when Saudi authorities launched a massive crackdown on dissent.
He was seeking to secure documentation for his forthcoming marriage when he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. His fiancée waited outside the consulate for hours without hearing from him.