FNA – The Iranian foreign ministry on Monday reiterated the country’s continued military advisory role in Syria, supporting Damascus’ right to fight against the terrorist groups in occupied Idlib province.
“Today, one of the complicated issues is Idlib which is the last stronghold of the militants who oppose the Syrian government. This has created concerns in certain circles which support terrorists,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi told reporters in Tehran in a press conference.
“As a sovereign government and country, the Syrian government is entitled to fight against the terrorists and Iran will continue its advisory assistance to Syria as long as the Syrian government wants,” he added.
Qassemi explained that during the Monday visit by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif to Damascus, the latest developments in Syria will be discussed with the high-ranking Syrian officials.
Zarif traveled to Damascus on Monday for talks with the Syrian officials.
Last week, Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami had traveled to Damascus and signed an agreement for defense cooperation between the two countries with his Syrian counterpart.
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem stated on Sunday that the recent US threats to strike Syria would not stop the Damascus government from Idlib operation.
“Anything that is actively promoted by the US will not affect the determination of the Syrian people and Syrian army’s plans to clear Idlib and finally put an end to terrorism in Syria,” Muallem said in an interview.
According to him, the US accusations about alleged plans regarding chemical attacks have become questionable in the eyes of public opinion and are just an excuse for a possible attack on Syria.
“We, the people and leadership of Syria, would like to end the conflict today, but the intervention of Western countries headed by the US makes it difficult,” Muallem added.