Saudi Arabia cannot be a threat to Iran: MP

Tehran Times – Alaeddin Boroujerdi, chairman of the parliamentary National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, has said that Saudi Arabia has failed in the regional arena and cannot pose a threat against Iran.

“Saudi Arabia is the only loser in the region and therefore makes efforts to hide his incompetence through creating new crises. If Saudi Arabia had been powerful, if would not have massacred 10 thousands innocent Yemenis,” he said in an interview with ISNA published on Friday.

Saudi Arabia’s aggressive acts in Yemen, backed by the U.S. and the Zionist regime of Israel, indicates Saudis weakness, he said.

He added that Saudi Arabia should expect more changes at home if it continues making wrong decisions.

In a televised interview aired on May 2 Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, who is also defense minister, openly threatened Iran, saying, “We won’t wait for the battle to be in Saudi Arabia. Instead, we’ll work so that the battle is for them [in their land] in Iran.”

Speaking to the Arabic-language al-Manar television aired late on May 7, the Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan lashed back at belligerent remarks by the Saudi crown prince, saying Iran will raze up the Saudi kingdom if it does anything/ acts “ignorant”.

Dehghan said such belligerent remarks by the Saudis are intended to “please” the Israeli regime.

On May 4, Iran’s Ambassador to the UN Gholamali Khoshroo sent a protest letter to the UN Security Council and to Secretary General António Guterres stating that the comments by the Saudi prince are “unveiled threat” against Iran and violation of the UN Charter.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also said on Wednesday that Saudi Arabia is pursuing a “dangerous policy” in seeking tension with Iran.

“We believe that Saudi Arabia is seeking tension,” Zarif told reporters in Tehran.

He added, “The policy is a dangerous one and has no use but insecurity for Saudi Arabia.”