Iran: Saudi Arabia caught in Yemen’s quagmire

TEHRAN (FNA)- Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani blasted the Riyadh government for continuing its airstrikes against the Yemeni civilians, and said that Saudi Arabia has been badly caught in Yemen’s quagmire.

“The ongoing military operation against the Yemenis will not result in anything but defeat,” Shamkhani said on Friday.

He reiterated that the Saudi attacks against the Yemeni civilians have proved to be ineffective so far as the Yemeni people have not bowed to the pressures.

The Saudi military has been pounding Yemen since March 2015 to undermine Yemen’s Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the former fugitive President Mansour Hadi.

Nearly 10,000 people, most of them civilians, have been killed in Riyadh’s military aggression which lacks any international mandate.

On Thursday, the UN human rights office said the Saudi military is using cluster bombs against residential areas in Yemen in violation of international law, blaming the Riyadh regime for most of the civilian casualties in its impoverished southern neighbor.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) criticized the United States in May for selling cluster munitions to Saudi Arabia, saying the kingdom had used various types of US-made cluster munitions in its war against Yemen despite evidence of mounting civilian casualties.

By Fars News Agency