Media reports indicate that the warning was delivered by the regime’s Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir last month during a visit to Washington. He said his country would sell up to $750 billion in US treasury securities and other assets before the bill puts them in jeopardy.
Under the current US law, foreign nations have a degree of immunity from being sued in American courts. The Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act of 1976 is one of the reasons why families of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks largely failed to bring to court the Saudi royal family and charities over suspicion of financially supporting the attacks.
The bill introduced in the Senate would waiver the immunity for cases involving terrorist attacks that kill US citizens on US soil. Introduced by Republican Senator John Cornyn and Democrat Senator Chuck Schumer, it managed to overcome partisan divisions in the US legislation and passed without dissent through the Judiciary Committee in January.
“As our nation confronts new and expanding terror networks that are targeting our citizens, stopping the funding source for terrorists becomes even more important,” Senator Cornyn said last month.
As has been well documented even in sworn US court testimony, and as even the pro-Saudi former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton acknowledged privately, “Donors in Saudi Arabia constitute the most significant source of funding to terrorist groups worldwide.” She didn’t name any of those “donors” names, but the former bagman for Osama bin Laden, who had personally collected all of the million-dollar+ donations (all in cash) to Al Qaeda, did, and he named all of the senior Saud princes and their major business-associates; and, he said, “without the money of the — of the Saudi you will have nothing.”
Meanwhile, The New York Post reported on Sunday that United States has gone out of its way to cover up Saudi Arabia’s role in the September 11, 2001 attacks that killed about 3,000 people, according to a new report.
The report noted that the kingdom’s involvement was deliberately covered up at the highest levels of the American government.
The extent of the cover-up goes beyond hiding 28 pages of a congressional report on 9/11 which was released in 2002, the report noted.
Pointing to investigations by case agents interviewed at the Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTF) in Washington and San Diego, along with police detectives who investigated the incident, the Post said, “Virtually every road led back to the Saudi Embassy in Washington, as well as the Saudi Consulate in Los Angeles.”
Citing its sources, the Post said the 28-page report comprises the entire final chapter of the congressional report, dealing with “foreign support for the September 11 hijackers,” and offers “incontrovertible evidence” by the CIA and the FBI that reveals official Saudi assistance for at least two of the Saudi hijackers who settled in San Diego.
So far some parts of the heavily redacted section of the report have leaked, uncovering a significant number of phone calls between the Saudi handles of a hijacker in San Diego and the Saudi embassy, as well as the transfer of some $130,000 from then-Saudi Ambassador Prince Bandar’s family checking account to the Saudi handlers of another hijacker in San Diego.
On April 20th and 21st, US President Barack Obama is scheduled to meet with Saudi King Salman. Without a doubt, this topic will be on the agenda, if it won’t constitute the agenda.
Due to mutual interests of Saudi regime and the US in destabilizing the region and dismantling the resistance front, there is widespread expectation that some sort of deal will be reached between Obama and the Saudi rulers.
Elsewhere, families of 9/11 victims say it “is a slap in the face” for President Obama to lobby against a bill that would hold the Saudi regime responsible for aiding and abetting the terrorists who carried out the terror attacks.