Tehran, May 3, IRNA – Iran is to dispatch its humanitarian aid to Yemen via a third country.
Secretary General of Iran’s Red Crescent Society Ali Asghar Ahmadi told reporters on Sunday that Iran’s humanitarian assistance to Yemeni people will be delivered through Oman.
Simultaneous with the landing of an Iranian Red Crescent plane carrying food and medicine in Sana’a Airport, Saudi fighter jets, breaching all international norms, bombed the airport to prevent the IRI civilian plane’s landing on Tuesday evening.
The Saudi jets also bombed the control tower of the airport in their inhumane war crime, but the Iranian pilot completed its landing successfully before taking off again due to the inappropriate conditions of the airport and heading back towards Iran.
The illegal and inhumane Saudi war crime took place under such conditions that Riyadh, under the pressure of the world public opinion and international
organizations, had earlier announced that it had halted its air raids against Yemen.
Saudi authorities have defied numerous warnings of a deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen and blocked relief aid shipments to Yemen.
The UN says key infrastructure including water supplies, health services and telecommunications in Yemen are on the verge of collapse.
UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen Johannes van der Klaauw warned on Saturday of imminent collapse of the country’s infrastructure due to a major fuel shortage in the war-torn country.
“The services still available in the country in terms of health, water, and food are quickly disappearing because fuel is no longer being brought into the country,” van der Klaauw said.
Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Riyadh.
On April 21, Riyadh announced the end of the first phase of its unlawful military operations, but airstrikes have continued with Saudi bombers targeting different areas across the country in a new phase.
On Friday, the World Health Organization said 1,244 Yemenis lost their lives and 5,044 others were injured from March 19 to April 27. Hundreds of women and children are among the victims, according to the WHO.