A senior Iranian military official says the Al Saud regime deserves a “severe punishment” for attacking neighboring Yemen with deadly aerial assaults.
On Tuesday, Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Hassan Firouzabadi slammed Riyadh for perpetrating serious crimes against the oppressed Yemeni nation, stressing that Saudi Arabia “deserves a harsh punishment” for its military aggression.
He further censured the United States, the United Nations and Britain for supporting the Saudi regime in its military campaign against Yemen.
“Unfortunately, the UN Security Council, the US and the UK have blatantly violated the legal rights of Yemeni people” by supporting Saudi Arabia in massacring Yemeni civilians and razing the country’s cities to the ground, added the senior Iranian commander.
He further referred to Saudi Arabia’s intercepting of airplanes carrying humanitarian aid to the innocent civilians in Yemen, saying such a move needs a “proportionate response.”
He stressed that Saudi Arabia has no justification for the numerous crimes it has committed against the Yemeni people, blaming the Muslim governments in the region and international organizations for taking sides with the oppressors.
On Monday, commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari lashed out at the Saudi aggression against Yemen, saying Riyadh is on the verge of collapse.
“Today, Saudi Arabia is brazenly and obnoxiously bombarding and massacring a nation, which is seeking the denial of the hegemonic system,” the IRGC chief said.
Saudi Arabia launched its air campaign against Yemen on March 26 – without a United Nations mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
The air campaign started amid the gains by Yemeni popular committees, backed by Ansarullah fighters, against al-Qaeda.
On April 21, Riyadh announced the end of the first phase of its military operation, which has left over 1,000 people dead so far, but airstrikes have continued with Saudi bombers targeting different areas across the country in a new phase.
By Press TV