Iran, Russia discuss developments in Yemen, Syria

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian and his Russian counterpart Mikhail Bogdanov in a telephone conversation on Tuesday discussed the ongoing regional developments, specially in Yemen and Syria.

During the phone talk today, the Iranian and Russian deputy foreign ministers voiced concern over the continuation of the Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen and warned against the repercussions of the Saudi aggression on regional security and stability.

Amir Abdollahian and Bogdanov called for immediate and unconditional halt to the Saudi airstrikes and start of national dialogue in Yemen.

The two diplomats warned that the breakout of a human tragedy in Yemen is inevitable due to the land and sea siege of Yemen as well as the Saudi blockade of the flow of aids to the country.

The Iranian and Russian deputy foreign ministers also voiced their support for the trend of Syrian-Syrian dialogue which is currently underway in Moscow and said that political solution is the only way to help resolve the Syrian crisis.

Amir Abdollahian and Bogdanov also strongly criticized certain states’ continued arms support for terrorist groups in Syria and their instrumental use of the terrorist groups to intensify the problems in Syria.

Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for 13 days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh. The Saudi-led aggression has so far killed at least 906 Yemenis, including hundreds of women and children.

Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.

Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.

Five Persian Gulf States — Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait — and Egypt that are also assisted by Israel and backed by the US declared war on Yemen in a joint statement issued on March 26.

US President Barack Obama authorized the provision of logistical and intelligence support to the military operations, National Security Council Spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said late on March 25.

She added that while US forces were not taking direct military action in Yemen, Washington was establishing a Joint Planning Cell with Saudi Arabia to coordinate US military and intelligence support.

Syria has been grappling with a deadly crisis since March 2011. The violence fuelled by Takfiri groups has so far claimed the lives of over 210,000 people, according to reports. New figures show that over 76,000 people, including thousands of children, lost their lives in Syria last year.

Over 3.8 million Syrians have left their country since the beginning of the crisis. According to reports, more than seven million Syrians have become internally displaced.

The Takfiri terrorist group, with members from several western countries, controls swathes of land in Syria and Iraq, and has been carrying out horrific acts of violence such as public decapitations and crucifixions against all communities such as Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds and Christians.

By Fars News Agency