Erdoğan’s planned visit to Iran not cancelled: Turkish official

Ankara, April 1, IRNA – Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s planned visit to Iran has not been cancelled, Spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Tanju Bilgiç said.

Speaking to reporters at a weekly press conference on Tuesday, he noted that Erdogan will visit Iran to discuss latest regional and international developments with the Iranian officials.

The official added that the Supreme Iran-Turkey Commission, led by the two countries’ presidents will convene for the 2nd time during the presidential visit to resolve the remaining technical issues of mutual interest.

Turkish Presidential Spokesman İbrahim Kalın had also earlier ruled out any change to Erdoğan’s plans to visit Iran in the first week of April.

Iranian officials have also confirmed that there has been no change to Erdoğan’s planned visit to Tehran, dismissing allegations of a possible cancellation which arose after he openly criticized Tehran.

Erdoğan announced earlier this week that Turkey supports the Saudi-led military operations against Yemen, while criticizing Iran.

In an interview with French network FRANCE 24 on March 26, Erdoğan said Ankara may consider providing “logistical support” to the mission while accusing Iran of trying to “increase its influence” in the region.

By IRNA