Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo says she will sue Fox News channel for broadcasting false reports that the French city has “no-go zones” for non-Muslims.
“When we’re insulted, and when we’ve had an image, then I think we’ll have to sue, I think we’ll have to go to court, in order to have these words removed,” Hidalgo told CNN on Tuesday.
“The image of Paris has been prejudiced, and the honor of Paris has been prejudiced,” she added.
Several reports by the news channel claimed that Paris has some areas called “no-go zones” that non-Muslims are banned to enter.
The reports came after the deadly terrorist attacks on Charlie Hebdo magazine and a kosher supermarket in Paris earlier this month.
The network apologized for the reports and called the mayor’s comments “misplaced.”
In a statement, FOX News Executive Vice President Michael Clemente said that the channel found the comments regarding a lawsuit “misplaced.”
According to experts, Paris faced an uphill legal fight in the US because the country has strong protections for media against defamation and libel claims.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.