Jason Rezaian, Washington Post’s Tehran bureau chief, to be kept in jail for another 60 days, Tehran judge rules.
Iran has extended the detenetion of Washington Post‘s bureau chief in Tehran for up to 60 days, without citing clear charges, the paper said, citing family members.
Jason Rezaian and his wife Yeganeh Salehi, also a journalist, were arrested in July. Salehi was freed on bail in October.
The Washington Post said hopes for Rezaian’s release rose in late October when a senior Iranian official said possible charges under review by the judiciary might be thrown out.
But last week Rezaian was shown a document signed by the judge overseeing his case and authorising the extension of his detention, the family said.
The document was dated November 18 and said the investigation against Rezaian continued, the newspaper said.
Rezaian holds dual US-Iranian citizenship. But Iran does not recognise the reporter’s American passport, the Washington Post said.
It remains unclear why Rezaian, 38, and Salehi were arrested on July 22 or what charges they are facing. One conservative newspaper in Tehran has accused Rezaian of espionage.
A lawyer hired by Rezaian’s family has not been allowed to meet with him, the Post said.
“If authorities had evidence that Rezaian had committed a real crime, they should have charged him shortly after his arrest,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch.
“At this point, they should simply release him,” she added. The Post quoted Ali Rezaian, Jason Rezaian’s brother, as saying “there seems to be a disconnect” between elements of the Iranian government.
His brother has now been held longer than any other accredited Western journalist in the past, Ali Rezaian said. “There have not been any charges against him, and there is no reason to think he is guilty of anything.”
“We have never had a clear view of why Jason is being held, how long he would be held, what might lead to his release, or when. We still don’t,” said Post Executive Editor Martin Baron.
“The key thing to remember is that he should never have been arrested and imprisoned in the first place, and he should be released immediately. There was no legitimate reason for him to be held without charges or explanation for more than four months. We again urge the Iranian authorities to give him his freedom and allow him to reunite with his family,” Baron said.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.