Turkey to allow 200 Iraqi Kurds to enter Kobani

Turkey says it will allow 200 Kurdish Peshmerga fighters from Iraq to cross its border into Syria’s restive border town of Kobani to assist in the battle against ISIL.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday that the regional administration in northern Iraq and the Democratic Union Party (PYD), a Syrian Kurdish group, finally reached an agreement “according to information yesterday that 200 Peshmerga would be going” to Kobani.

The Turkish president also commented on a move by the United States to air drop weapons meant for the Kurdish fighters in the town, warning that some of the arms ended up in the hands of the ISIL Takfiri terrorists.

Meanwhile, Peshmerga spokesman, Halgurd Hikmat, said preparations to send the Iraqi Kurds to Kobani are underway, but the transport would not take place on Thursday.

The Peshmerga forces are due to be equipped with heavier weapons than those being used by local Kurdish fighters in Kobani.

Turkey had earlier announced its plan for the Kurdish forces from Iraq to cross into Syria for combat in Kobani.

The flashpoint town and its surroundings have been under attack since mid-September, with the ISIL militants capturing dozens of nearby Kurdish villages.

There are an estimated 2,000 Kurdish fighters operating in the battle for Kobani.

The ISIL advance in the region has forced thousands of Syrian Kurds to flee into Turkey, which is a stone’s throw from the strategic town.

Turkey continues to block any delivery of military, medical or humanitarian assistance to Kobani, where the ISIL terrorists are feared to be aiming at massive bloodletting.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.