Masoumeh-Ebtekar

Gov’t orders harsh campaign against acid attacker criminals

Tehran, Oct 23, IRNA – Government has ordered launching a harsh campaign against the acid attacker criminals, Vice President and Head of Department of Environment Ma’soumeh Ebtakar said here Friday.
The DOE chief reacting to the recent days’ acid attacks against a number of Isfahani women and a single similar case in Mashhad announced the news in a post in her Facebook page.

“This is in response to those friends who ask questions (on the government’s reaction). I must say that the health minister has personally stepped in, participating in curing process of the victims, the interior minister has ordered serious investigation about the criminal act and the cabinet ministers have reacted responsibly to the matter,” wrote Ebtekar.

She also stressed that these sad events must be an end point to aggressive moves against women.

That is while thousands of Iranians took to the streets of the historic city of Isfahan on Wednesday to protest several acid attacks on women and a smaller crowd of some dozens protested in front of the Parliament in Tehran.

A local official said on Wednesday that “eight to nine” women had been attacked over the past three weeks by men on motorcycles who splashed acid on them in Isfahan, one of Iran’s largest urban centers and the country’s chief tourist destination. Some of the women were blinded or disfigured.

The protesters (more than 2,000) gathered in front of the local judiciary office and shouted slogans against extremists.

By IRNA

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.