Egypt offers new plan for truce in Gaza

Egypt has proposed a new truce plan in the Gaza Strip that would open key border crossings into the besieged Palestinian territory, which has been under Israeli military attacks since July 8.

Under the potential new ceasefire deal, border crossings would be opened to allow for the delivery of aid and reconstruction material into Gaza with negotiators coming back to Cairo to resume talks on a longer-term end to the conflict.

“There is an idea for a temporary ceasefire that opens the crossings, allows aid and reconstruction material, and the disputed points will be discussed in a month,” said a top Palestinian official in Cairo.

Another Palestinian official said Egypt could invite Palestinian and Israeli negotiating teams to return to Cairo within 48 hours.

Daud Shihab, a spokesman for Palestinian resistance group Islamic Jihad, said the success of “contacts to reach a ceasefire depends on Palestinian demands being met.”

The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas wants the seven-year siege of Gaza, which has crippled the coastal enclave and tightly restricted the movement of goods and people, to be removed.

The Palestinians also demand that the coastal territory be allowed to open an airport and seaport.

However, Tel Aviv claims it will only take the measure if Hamas is disarmed.

Previous temporary ceasefires have failed to produce a deal between the two sides.

More than 2,135 Palestinians, including around 570 children, have been killed so far in the Israeli onslaught on Gaza. Some 11,000 others have been wounded.

Tel Aviv says 68 Israelis have been killed in the conflict, but Hamas puts the number at more than 150.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.