TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A source close to the G 5+1 (the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council plus Germany) said the new round of negotiations over Iran’s nuclear energy program will be held in New York in September.
The spokesman for the European Union Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton had earlier said Iran and the six world powers would hold new round of talks in September.
Michael Mann had added that as it happened last year in New York, meetings would also be held between Iran and the representatives of the Group 5+1 on the sidelines of the UNGA.
Earlier this month, Iran’s top nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi announced that representatives from Iran and the six world powers will meet in New York in September.
On July 18, after more than two weeks of intensive diplomatic negotiations in Vienna, Iran and the six nations agreed to continue talks for another four months.
The two sides decided to extend the nuclear talks until November 24 in the hope of clinching a final deal. The four-month extension of the talks began on July 21.
Iran and the sextet on November 24, 2013, signed an interim nuclear deal in the Swiss city of Geneva.
The breakthrough agreement (the Joint Plan of Action), which came into effect on January 20, had given the parties extendable six months to draw up a comprehensive nuclear deal.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.