Iranian president’s advisor hopeful about results of Vienna talks

TEHRAN (FNA)- Senior advisor to the Iranian President Mohammad Ali Najafi expressed the hope that the talks between Iran and the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany) will yield results before the deadline of July 20.

“We are much hopeful that this round of negotiations or the Vienna 6 talks will yield final results by July 20 which has been specified as the first phase (deadline),” Najafi said in a meeting with Spanish Ambassador to Tehran Pedro Antonio Villena Perez on Monday.

He, meantime, said that Iran is not so much concerned about not striking a deal before the July 20 deadline since the agreement will eventually be made in the next two to three months after that.

Najafi said that a final deal with the G5+1 will pave the ground for the further expansion of the relations between Iran and other countries, specially Spain.

Villena Perez, for his part, said that the western international and unilateral sanctions against Tehran have inflicted much loss and damage on Spain, adding that all the EU members are seeking a change in this situation to restore their traditional ties with Iran.

The sixth round of talks between Tehran and the G5+1 headed by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton officially started in Vienna early last week.

Iran and the Group 5+1 sealed an interim deal in the Swiss city of Geneva on November 24, 2013 to pave the way for a full resolution of their decade-old dispute over the former’s nuclear standoff with the West. The deal came into force on January 20.

Under the Geneva deal, dubbed the Joint Plan of Action, the six countries undertook to provide Iran with some sanctions relief in exchange for Tehran agreeing to limit certain aspects of its nuclear activities during a six-month period.

Zarif told reporters after the last round of talks with the six world powers held in Vienna on June 16-20 that although the seven nations have started compiling the draft deal, the harsh stance taken by the western powers, which is reflected in their excessive and maximum demands shows that they are not fully ready to enter serious negotiations to attain a final solution to the decade-old standoff.

He stressed that Iran would not give up its rights, and would continue resistance until restoring all its nuclear rights.

By Fars News Agency

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.