A senior Iranian lawmaker has held the Pakistani government responsible for the lives of the kidnapped Iranian border guards, expressing Tehran’s readiness to free the abductees.
“Iran is fully prepared to stamp out the Jaish-ul-Adl terrorists,” said Seyyed Hossein Naqavi Hosseini, the spokesman for the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of Majlis.
On February 6, five Iranian border guards were kidnapped in the border region of Jakigour in the country’s southeastern Sistan-and-Baluchestan Province, and were transferred to neighboring Pakistan.
Jaish-ul-Adl claimed responsibility for the abduction. Last Sunday, the terrorist group announced that it had killed one of the hostages.
Under international law, said Naqavi Hosseini, Iran can take measures to secure the release of the kidnapped guards in two ways.
“Iran is prepared to act independently to crush the Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group should the Islamabad government be incapable of doing it,” the spokesman said.
“The second way to free the abducted border guards is to use international bodies advocating human rights such as the United Nations,” added the senior MP.
He further held the Pakistani government accountable for the kidnapping of the border guards and said Islamabad “should take the necessary measures to release them.”
On Monday, Iran’s Interior Ministry confirmed that Jamshid Danaeifar, one of the five kidnapped border guards, had been killed.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry on Tuesday expressed sorrow over the killing of the guard and called the Pakistani government to account for the tragic event.
Also on October 25, 2013, Jaish-ul-Adl killed 14 Iranian border guards and wounded six others in a border region near the city of Saravan in Sistan-and-Baluchestan.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.