Senior MP warns US to avoid military miscalculations

TEHRAN (FNA)- A senior Iranian legislator warned the US that a military aggression against Tehran would be nothing but the product of a miscalculation, stressing that the Americans’ “first mistake will be their last”.

“If they make this mistake, we will respond to them in such a powerful way that they will be forced to return to their own geography and leave alone the Islamic Middle-Eastern nations,” Vice-Chairman of the parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Mansour Haqiqatpour said in the Central city of Qom on Sunday night.

Meantime, he said the White House and Pentagon are well aware of Iran’s military might and power and know the catastrohpic outcomes of any military action against Iran. “The Americans are aware that their first mistake will be their last.”

His remarks came in reaction to the recent statements of the US Secretary of State John Kerry, who said in an interview in Geneva last week that the military option was still on the table “if Iran did not live up to its nuclear commitments under the Geneva deal”.

Most Iranian officials have rushed to condemn Kerry’s remarks, warning that Tehran would give “a crushing response to any foolish act” by the US.

Lieutenant Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Hossein Salami underlined Iran’s full preparedness for any possible US attack, and said Washington should take responsibility for the dire consequences of any aggression.

“The US (threat of using the) military option is of no care to us. They can use this option but should take the responsibility for its destructive consequences too,” Salami said in a televised interview with Iran’s state-run TV on Saturday night.

“The US can have different scenarios against Iran, including air, missile and limited ground incursion; all these scenarios have been identified, all possibilities have been studied and we have complete intelligence superiority in all these cases and operational strategies,” he added.

Salami said if the US dares to embark on its military threats against Iran, the Islamic Republic would then “recognize no boundary for its response”.

Salami underlined that Iran is ready for all types of threats, and added, “We have identified those regions which shock the US and we have full dominance over the enemy’s vital interests.”

Also in January, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces for Cultural Affairs and Defense Publicity Brigadier General Massoud Jazzayeri downplayed the US and its allies’ war rhetoric against Iran, and said they don’t dare to attack Iran because they have no hope of victory in such a war.

In response to Kerry’s comments, the senior Iranian commander said that the US government knows that the military option against Iran is not practical.

The United States has long stressed that military action is a main option for the White House to deter Iran’s progress in the field of nuclear technology.

Iran has warned that in case of an attack by either the US or Israel, it will target 32 American bases in the Middle-East and close the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

An estimated 40 percent of the world’s oil supply passes through the waterway.

By Fars News Agency 

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.