The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Islamic Republic of Iran (Iran) have agreed today, 11 November 2013, to strengthen their cooperation and dialogue aimed at ensuring the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear programme through the resolution of all outstanding issues that have not already been resolved by the IAEA.
In this regard, it was agreed that Iran and the IAEA will cooperate further with respect to verification activities to be undertaken by the IAEA to resolve all present and past issues. It is foreseen that Iran’s cooperation will include providing the IAEA with timely information about its nuclear facilities and in regard to the implementation of transparency measures. Activities will proceed in a step-by-step manner.
The IAEA agreed to continue to take into account Iran’s security concerns including through the use of managed access and the protection of confidential information.
As a first step, Iran and the IAEA agreed to the practical measures listed in the attached Annex. Iran will provide the access and information within three months from the date of this Statement. The IAEA will report to the Board of Governors on progress in the implementation of these measures.
For the INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY:
Date: 11 November 2013
For the ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN:
Ali Akbar Salehi
Vice-President of the Islamic Republic of Iran
President of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran
Date: 11 November 2013
Annex to the Joint Statement on a Framework for Cooperation of 11 November 2013
Initial Practical Measures to be Taken by Iran Within Three Months
- Providing mutually agreed relevant information and managed access to the Gchine mine in Bandar Abbas
- Providing mutually agreed relevant information and managed access to the Heavy Water Production Plant
- Providing information on all new research reactors
- Providing information with regard to the identification of 16 sites designated for the construction of nuclear power plants
- Clarification of the announcement made by Iran regarding additional enrichment facilities
- Further clarification of the announcement made by Iran with respect to laser enrichment technology
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.