The Iranian Interior Ministry says “international terrorism” had a hand in organizing the recent deadly attack on border guards in Southeast Iran.
“Such actions perpetrated by international terrorism and definitely this incident was organized by the global arrogance,” said Iran Interior Ministry Spokesman Hassan Ali Amiri on Monday.
On October 25, 17 Iranian border guards lost their lives and six others were wounded in a shooting assault in the border region of Saravan in Iran’s southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan.
The incident prompted the Iranian Interior and Foreign Ministries to launch a joint investigation while the Supreme National Security Council (SNC) also convened on Sunday to look into the incident.
The Iranian official further advised the Pakistani government not to allow its soil to be used for terrorist activities, calling on Islamabad to adopt proper security measures in an effort to prevent terrorist operations in its territory.
Amiri said, “This incident was investigated in the meeting of the [Supreme National Security] Council and the analyses and necessary programs in this regard was presented by relevant officials.”
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has also called for an investigation into the shooting incident, tasking the Foreign Ministry with taking necessary measures to implement the border security agreement which was signed with Pakistan in February.
Earlier on Monday, Pakistani Additional Secretary of Foreign Ministry Masroor A. Junejo denounced the attack on Iranian border guards, vowing to make every effort to identify perpetrators of the incident.
Pakistan’s charge d’affaires in Iran Sohail Siddiqui said on Sunday that Islamabad is probing the terrorist assault.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.