Basij commander urges Egypt’s return to path of resistance against US, Israel

TEHRAN (FNA)- Commander of Iran’s Basij (volunteer) Force Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Naqdi underlined that Egypt should return to the path of revolution and struggle against the US and Israel.

“Egypt should return to the line of struggle against the US and Zionism and take control of the situation, but if it remains in the present situation it will receive further blows and its people will sustain serious harms,” Brigadier General Naqdi said.

He pointed to the lack of success of the Egyptian revolution, and said, “Muslim Brotherhood calls on people to resolutely stand against the US and Israel, but it committed a big mistake and that was handing the field to the enemy which resulted in a military coup.”

Brigadier General Naqdi said sowing the seeds of discord among Muslims and defending the Egyptian army constitute the US policy for repressing Muslims today.

Last month, Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei deplored the violence used against the defenseless people in Egypt, and underlined the necessity for a return to democracy and respect for people’s vote in Egypt, and said, “After years of (being ruled by) a dictatorial regime, they held a healthy election thanks to the Islamic Awakening and this trend of democracy is not stoppable.”

Egypt has been experiencing unrelenting violence since July 3, when the army toppled former President Mohammed Mursi, the first democratically elected Egyptian head of state, and suspended the constitution and dissolved the parliament. The army also appointed the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court, Adly Mahmoud Mansour, as the new interim president.

The government of interim President Adly Mansour has launched a fierce crackdown on Mursi supporters and arrested more than 2,000 Brotherhood members.

Nearly 1,000 people were killed in a week of violence between Mursi anti-coup protesters and security forces after police dispersed their protest camps in a deadly operation on August 14.

The massacre sparked international condemnation and prompted world bodies to call for an independent investigation into the violence.

By Fars News Agency

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.