EU top officials to meet on Egypt violence

The European Union (EU) says it will hold a meeting next week to discuss the situation in Egypt in the wake of a bloody military crackdown which has left hundreds dead.

The office of the EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, said on Friday that top officials from 28 members of the bloc will meet on Monday ahead of a possible meeting of EU foreign ministers.

The talks “will coordinate member states and EU position & possible actions,” her office said on Twitter.

The next scheduled meeting of EU foreign ministers are scheduled to meet in the Lithuanian capital, Vilnius, on September 6 and 7.

Lithuania’s capital, Vilnius, is to host the next scheduled meeting of foreign ministers of EU.

On Wednesday, Ashton offered her condolences to the victims of the violence in the North African country, saying, “I strongly condemn the violence that has erupted in Cairo and throughout Egypt.”

On Thursday, the UN Security Council called for “maximum restraint” and an end to violence in Egypt.

Egypt has become the scene of a rising tide of violence since the military ouster of President Mohamed Morsi early last month. Mass rallies are under way at several mosques in Cairo in addition to other cities including Alexandria, Ismailia, Assiut and Tanta.

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood has called massive demonstrations across the country on “the Friday of anger” to denounce the massacre of pro-Morsi protesters on Wednesday.

The deadly police crackdown on Rabaa and Nahda protest camps left at least 640 people dead and injured over 4,000 others.

The violence has drawn international criticism and triggered protest rallies in several countries.

Egypt is currently locked down under a month-long curfew and the police have been authorized to use live ammunitions in case of attacks against state buildings.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.