US President Barack Obama has sent a letter to Egypt’s interim president Adli Mansour, reaffirming Washington’s commitment to giving “a second chance” to put country’s post-uprising transition back on track.
According to a statement released by Egypt’s presidency on Saturday, Obama said in his letter that the US will remain “a strong partner” to the Egyptian people as they shape their country’s path to the future.
The statement comes after Friday clashes between supporters of deposed president Mohamad Morsi and country’s army left scores of people dead in capital Cairo. It did not indicate when exactly Egyptian authorities received the US president’s message.
Obama also said he hopes that the transition “represents an opportunity to establish a civilian political system, characterized by democracy, transparency, tolerance, without exclusion, which respects the rights of all Egyptians.”
Observers believe the US position towards developments in Egypt has been “reluctant” since the ouster of Morsi earlier this month.
On Friday, the US decided not to call the Morsi’s overthrow a coup, a move which would allow the $1.5 billion of US military aid to Egypt to continue unaffected.
US State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said it was in the US advantage to continue providing the aid to Egypt.
“Our national security interests influence our policy as it relates to aid with Egypt,” Psaki said. “We reviewed the legal obligations and determined we did not need to make a determination one way or the other.”
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.