Iran censures Kenyan court ruling on two Iranian nationals

Iran has criticized a Kenyan court for handing down life sentences to two Iranian nationals over unfounded charges, calling for a “serious review” of the verdict.

A Kenyan court on Monday sentenced the two Iranians to life in prison over the unfounded allegation of “involvement in terrorist activities.”

Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Tuesday, “These two Iranians entered Kenya last year with valid visas and for tourism purposes, and were arrested over false charges and based on a pre-meditated scenario on June 19, 2012.”

“This unfortunate event occurred after the successful trip of Iran’s First Vice President Mohammad Reza Rahimi to Kenya in May 2012,” Mehmanparast said.

He added that the ill-wishers and arrogant powers have a record of making such moves after successful visits by Iranian officials to friendly countries.

The Iranian official expressed regret over the issue and said the verdict was unjust.

Mehmanparast also touched upon the prospering relations between Iran and Kenya and said that Tehran expected the government of Kenyan President Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta to conduct an independent review of the issue, acquit and rehabilitate the two Iranians.

Meanwhile, David Kirimi, the lawyer of one of the two Iranians convicted in Kenya, said after the court session that he would appeal against the ruling.

“The decision is outrageous. It is wrong. It is illegal. It is a nullity. The magistrate has totally misconceived the law,” Kirimi stated.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.