Donald Trump

Report: Trump mulling more aggressive response to Iran

The Hill– President Trump is reportedly considering a more aggressive strategy towards Iran, which would include the United States’ reactions to the Iranian military and proxies.

Reuters on Monday reported details of the strategy, which was assembled by Secretary of Defense James Mattis, National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. The proposal was offered to Trump on Friday during a meeting of the National Security Council.

Sources described the strategy to Reuters as a means to intensify pressure on Iran over its backing of militant groups throughout the region and its ballistic missile program.

he plan would allow the U.S. Navy to provide a more aggressive response when Iran’s Revolutionary Guard boats intimidate U.S. forces and also calls for more aggressive seizures of arms shipments from Iran, the report said.

News of the aggressive proposal comes after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) last month found that Iran was in the compliance with the nuclear accord negotiated by the United States and international powers.

The Trump Administration in July certified Iran’s compliance with the deal, but said it was “in default of the spirit” of the agreement. The administration at the time said it would take a broader approach to deal with Iran’s “malign activities” outside the scope of the nuclear accord. The reported proposal appears to address at least several of these activities.

Trump repeatedly slammed the Iranian nuclear deal during his presidential campaign and criticized the Obama administration over its negotiation of the accord.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *