Tasnim – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif voiced his deep concern over the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Yemen caused by a Saudi onslaught on civilians in the Arabian Peninsula country, calling on the international community to end the protracted war.
“…It is necessary that the international community become a bit more sensitive to the humanitarian disaster in Yemen and seek an effective solution to end the miserable situation in Yemen,” Zarif said in remarks released on Sunday.
Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by a coalition led by the Saudi regime for nearly two years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Nearly 11,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.
The Iranian top diplomat further welcomed the ongoing talks in Geneva aimed at resolving the Syrian crisis and said Iran hopes that all of these efforts would yield good results.
A fresh round of peace negotiations started earlier this week between representatives of the Damascus government and the foreign-backed opposition in the Swiss city of Geneva under the auspices of the United Nations.
It follows the second round of the Syria peace talks organized by Iran, Russia, and Turkey held in the Kazakh capital of Astana on February 16.
Diplomatic efforts to end fighting in Syria have gained momentum in recent weeks with the announcement of a ceasefire in the Arab country in early January.
The truce, which was negotiated between Russia, Iran, Turkey, the Damascus government and the Syrian opposition, excludes terrorist groups such as Daesh and Jabhat Fateh al-Sham.