Tasnim – Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri offered his gratitude to the people and medical staff devoting themselves to the campaign against the outbreak of the new coronavirus in the country.
As “the noble and wise people of Islamic Iran” as well as more than 100 countries around the world are exposed to the coronavirus, the medical staff in Iran are sacrificing themselves and creating “amazing scenes”, Major General Baqeri said in a statement released on Tuesday.
The top commander further expressed his gratitude to the people and medical staff for their “promising and honorable” moves.
Elsewhere in his remarks, Major General Baqeri slammed the enemies for spreading fake news to portray the Islamic Republic as incapable of dealing with the infectious disease and said such a propaganda campaign against Iran is indicative of “the depth of their hostilities and anger”.
Iran’s Health Ministry Spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour announced on Tuesday that 881 new coronavirus cases that have been diagnosed since yesterday raised the total number of Iranian people infected with the virus to 8,042.
He also noted that the death toll from COVID-19 outbreak in the country has risen to 291 after 54 patients died over the past 24 hours.
Jahanpour further said that 2,731 coronavirus patients have recovered from the respiratory disease and discharged from hospitals so far.
“The trend in the healing and discharge of those patients has been remarkably growing,” he stated.
First detected in Wuhan city in central China in December, the novel coronavirus has infected more than 113,000 people globally and killed over 4,000.
Medical staffs in all 31 provinces of Iran have been working tirelessly over the past weeks to contain the novel coronavirus.