Press TV – Iran says 522 patients infected with the coronavirus have recovered so far as the country intensifies measures to combat the epidemic.
Kianoush Jahanpour, the head of public relations and information center of the Iranian Ministry of Health, made the remarks to reporters on Wednesday, while updating the figures on recuperation and new confirmed cases.
“Since yesterday until today’s afternoon, 586 new confirmed cases have been reported,” he said.
He added that 253 of the new cases were diagnosed in Tehran Province, adding that the north-central Qom Province and the northern Gilan Province came second and third with 101 and 35 new cases, respectively.
The new figures raise the number of confirmed cases to a total of 2,922, he said.
The official noted that 15 people have lost their lives to the deadly virus over the past day, bringing the total number of fatalities to 92 since the outbreak.
He called on Iranians to refrain from taking unnecessary intra-urban and inter-urban trips and avoid gatherings that could contribute to the disease’s spread.
Jahanpour said that the country will witness a decline in the number of new cases if people heed safety and hygiene advisories and reduce their commuting and trips by 60 percent, expressing optimism that the spread of the disease will take a downward trend in the coming days.
The new virus first emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.
More than 92,000 cases have been confirmed worldwide and the number of deaths from the virus has reached 3,110 globally, according to the World Health Organization.
In Iran, it first showed up in the north-central city of Qom.
Iran has mobilized all its resources to tackle the issue, including increased production and import of hygiene and protective items as well as enforcing diagnostic measures across the nation.