Iran rice production hits 2.6m tons

Financial Tribune – Rice production has exceeded 2.6 million tons this year, showing a rise of 13-18% compared with last year’s output, according to the secretary of Iran Rice Association.

“Annual domestic demand for rice stands at around 3 million tons and this year’s increased production means there will be less imports,” Jamil Alizadeh Shayeq was also quoted as saying by IRNA.

The difference between domestic production and demand is imported from Pakistan, Thailand, India, the UAE, Turkey and Iraq.

The official noted that over 90% of Iran’s rice cultivation take place in the two northern provinces of Gilan and Mazandaran, and the remaining 10% are mostly grown in Isfahan, Ilam, Kurdestan and Khuzestan.