Reuters – Iranian President Hassan Rouhani will present a plan for creating security in the Persian Gulf in cooperation with other countries in the region when he attends the United Nations General Assembly in New York this week.
Saudi Arabia and the United States accuse Iran of attacking Saudi oil facilities on Sept. 14, the biggest such assault on the world’s top oil exporter.
Iran denies involvement in the attack, which was claimed by Yemen’s Houthi movement, a group currently fighting a Saudi-led alliance in Yemen’s civil war.
“This year we will present a plan to the world at the United Nations that the Islamic Republic of Iran in cooperation with the countries of the region can create security for the Persian Gulf and the Oman sea with the help of the countries of the region,” Rouhani was cited as saying on his official website.
He did not provide further details.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday approved sending American troops to bolster Saudi Arabia’s air and missile defenses after the attacks on Saudi oil sites.
Saudi Arabia has described the strikes on the Abqaiq and Khurais facilities as a test of whether there is global will to preserve international order, and will seek to form a united front at the United Nations General Assembly.
“We are not someone who will violate the borders of others just as we will not allow anyone to violate our borders,” Rouhani said at a ceremony commemorating the anniversary of the start of the Iran’s 1980-1988 war with Iraq, according to his website.
Separately, the head of Iran’s navy said the Islamic Republic would defend itself against any aggression.
“In case of any miscalculation and aggression by the enemy, (the navy), along with other armed forces of the country, will give the most crushing reaction in the shortest time possible,” Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi was cited as saying by the semi-official Mehr news agency.
Ballistic missiles, speedboats and warships were shown in video footage on state TV as part of the ceremonies.
Last year, gunmen attacked a military parade commemorating the anniversary in the city of Ahvaz, killing 25, about half of whom were members of the elite Revolutionary Guards.
At the time, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the highest authority in Iran, accused Saudi Arabia of backing the attackers, which Riyadh denied.
Reporting By Babak Dehghanpisheh; Editing by Sam Holmes, Raissa Kasolowsky and Giles Elgood