Press TV – Syria lashes out at the United States over its new sanctions targeting Iran’s authorities, blaming such American actions for a rise in regional and international tensions.
On Tuesday, an official source at the Syrian Foreign Ministry said Damascus “vehemently condemns” the bans issued by US President Donald Trump a day earlier, the official Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.
The measures came in force against Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, his office and eight senior commanders of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
Signing off on the measures, Trump said the new “hard-hitting” sanctions will deny access to “key financial resources and support” for the Leader, his office and those “closely affiliated” with him.
Washington said it will also impose sanctions on Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif later this week.
The Syrian source further said the decision was part of the US administration’s reckless policy toward the states that are proud of their sovereignty and national dignity and reject the mentality of hegemony and subordination.
“Such policies are the main reason for fueling tension in the region and the world, and constitute a serious threat to international peace and security,” it added.
The US move is “worthless and will not undermine the will of the Iranian people to preserve the sovereignty and independence of their country,” the official noted.
The official finally renewed Damascus’ “full solidarity” with the leadership and people of the Islamic Republic in the face of the “US’s arrogance.”
The sanctions came on top of a myriad of bans that the US restored after leaving a United Nations-endorsed nuclear accord with Iran and other world countries last year.
Tehran has denounced Washington’s latest antagonistic measures as yet another instance of its disrespect for the international law.
It has also said the new measures have permanently shut all opportunity for dialog and has exposed America’s lies about seeking talks with Tehran.