Press TV – Iran’s Foreign Ministry says the Islamic Republic supports an overarching ceasefire in Yemen while calling for an end to the “tyrannical” economic and human blockade imposed on the people of Yemen.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry made the remarks in a statement released on Monday on the occasion of the fourth anniversary of the beginning of Saudi Arabia’s war of aggression against Yemen.
“In line with its policy to seek a political solution to the crisis in Yemen and within the framework of a four-point plan, which was proposed by [Iran’s] foreign minister at the beginning of the campaign against Yemen, the Islamic Republic of Iran declares its support for all forms of overarching and comprehensive ceasefire and removal of the tyrannical economic and human blockade of the people of Yemen,” the statement read.
In April 2015, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif submitted a four-point peace plan for Yemen to the United Nations in an attempt to end the bloodshed in the Arab country.
“It is imperative for the international community to get more effectively involved in ending the senseless aerial attacks and establishing a ceasefire,” Zarif said in the letter, adding that Tehran is ready to cooperate with the UN “to facilitate and encourage an immediate end to these senseless bombardments and initiation of a genuine dialogue to find a political solution to this tragic crisis.”
In November 2018, Zarif once again assessed the viability of putting an end to the ongoing Saudi-led war only through the Islamic Republic’s four-point plan.
“Today, after untold human suffering & war crimes by the Saudi coalition & its U.S. accomplices, & efforts to whitewash their crimes with absurd allegations against Iran, our four-point plan still remains the only viable option,” the top Iranian diplomat said in a post on his official Twitter account.
Elsewhere in its statement, Iran’s Foreign Ministry urged all political groups in Yemen to reach a political agreement, which would meet the demands of the country’s people while asking the international community to support any effort made to alleviate the suffering of Yemeni people, especially women and children.
As confirmed by international officials and organizations, more than 24 million Yemeni people are in need of help while over 15 million others are suffering from malnutrition and millions of children are facing the risk of famine and hunger, it added.
The Iranian ministry once again threw its weight behind the Stockholm agreement and urged countries engaged in the Yemeni crisis to make necessary preparations for the full implementation of the deal.
It also expressed hope that the complete implementation of the agreement would be the first step toward a final settlement of the crisis in Yemen.
Back in December, representatives from the Houthi Ansarullah movement and the Riyadh-sponsored government of ex-president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, reached the truce deal during UN-mediated peace talks in Sweden.
Under the deal, they agreed to the withdrawal of their troops and the deployment of UN monitors to the port city, a lifeline for millions of Yemenis.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched the war in March 2015 with the goal of bringing a former regime that had been submissive to Riyadh back to power.
A number of Western countries — the US and Britain in particular — supply that coalition with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.