FM rejects media reports on clashes between Iranian, Russian forces in Syria

FNA – The Iranian foreign ministry dismissed western media claims that the country’s military advisors and Russian forces stationed in Syria have engaged in clashes.

“I have not received such a report and I cannot confirm its correctness,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi told reporters in Tehran on Monday.

He underlined Iran’s military advisory role in Syria, and said such media claims are raised due to the western states’ anger at the progress made in Astana process to help settlement of the crisis in Syria and “they want to spread negative news and fill the region and Iran with concerns”.

At the request of Damascus, Iran has been providing military advisory assistance to the Syrian government forces in its fight against foreign-backed Takfiri terrorists.

In relevant remarks last month, Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami underlined his country’s determination to support Syria until the war-ravaged nation embraces ultimate victory against all terrorist groups.

“The Syrian nation has fended off a major threat posed to the nation and the region by fighting against terrorism and we will accompany Syria until final victory as we have been standing beside the Syrian nation so far,” General Hatami said in a meeting with Syrian Deputy Defense Minister Major General Mahmoud al-Shawa in Tehran.

He also underscored Tehran’s preparedness to participate in reconstruction efforts in Syria.

General al-Shahwa, for his part, said that the Syrian government, nation and Armed Forces believe that their victories against the terrorists are indebted to Iran’s supports.