Press TV – Israeli military aircraft have carried out a series of airstrikes against targets in the northern part of the Gaza Strip as the Tel Aviv regime continues with its acts of aggression against the besieged Palestinian coastal sliver.
“The strike was executed following earlier strikes during the day and in response to the shooting incidents against our forces,” the Israeli Air Force said in a statement released late on Tuesday.
The statement added that the Israeli warplanes pounded several targets at a training camp belonging to Hamas resistance movement. There were no reports of injuries.
Earlier in the day, at least one Palestinian was killed while four others were injured as Israeli forces shelled the Gaza Strip after an Israeli soldier was shot along the border between the coastal enclave and occupied territories.
Ashraf al-Qidra, the spokesman for the Gaza Health Ministry, identified the fallen Palestinian as 24-year-old Mohammed al-Nabaheen.
Hamas later confirmed he was a member of its military wing, Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades.
The attack came shortly after an Israeli soldier was slightly injured near the border fence in the southern Gaza Strip.
The Israeli army said the soldier was wounded when a bullet struck his helmet.
Palestinians have held weekly protests on the Gaza border, over the siege on the enclave and the right for refugees to return to their homes they fled during the 1948 creation of Israel.
Nearly 250 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces ever since anti-occupation protest rallies began in the Gaza Strip on March 30. Over 26,000 Palestinians have also sustained injuries.
The Gaza clashes reached their peak on May 14 last year, on the eve of the 70th anniversary of Nakba Day (Day of Catastrophe), which coincided this year with the US embassy relocation from Tel Aviv to occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds.
On June 13, 2018, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution, sponsored by Turkey and Algeria, condemning Israel for Palestinian civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip.
The resolution, which had been put forward on behalf of Arab and Muslim countries, garnered a strong majority of 120 votes in the 193-member assembly, with 8 votes against and 45 abstentions.
The resolution called on UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to make proposals within 60 days “on ways and means for ensuring the safety, protection, and well-being of the Palestinian civilian population under Israeli occupation,” including “recommendations regarding an international protection mechanism.”
It also called for “immediate steps towards ending the closure and the restrictions imposed by Israel on movement and access into and out of the Gaza Strip.”