MNA – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Ghasemi has categorically dismissed the US’ “baseless” accusations that Tehran has breached the Chemical Weapons Convention.
“During the Fourth Review Conference of the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) in The Hague on Thursday, the US mission to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) once again leveled groundless accusations against the Islamic Republic, which we strongly reject,” Ghasemi said in a statement.
“Based on the Conference procedure, the Iranian mission to the OPCW will give an appropriate response to these baseless accusations at the end of the general debates,” he noted.
“The crystal-clear point here is that the US is the only OPCW member state with chemical weapon arsenals, which has so far failed to fulfill its commitment to destroy them,” Ghasemi said.
“At the same time, the US sides with the Zionist regime’s chemical weapons program and levels such wrong and false accusations against Iran,” he went on to say.
Ghasemi said the US raises such allegations out of its hostility towards the Iranian nation, and aims to deviate the world’s public opinion from its violation of commitments and continued support for the Israeli chemical arsenals and terrorist groups.
The United States accused Iran on Thursday of failing to declare what it called “a toxic arms program” to the OPCW in breach of international agreements.
Addressing the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in The Hague, US envoy Kenneth Ward claimed that Tehran was also seeking “deadly nerve agents for offensive purposes.”