IRNA – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message slammed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for his audacity to threaten ordinary Iranians.
“@SecPompeo has audacity to threaten crimes against humanity targeting ordinary Iranians; then attacks media for reporting his own words,” Zarif tweeted on Monday.
‘He should either own what he says, or disown what US does. Can’t have it both ways,” the Iranian foreign minister added.
Earlier in a separate message, Zarif said ‘#WeWontForget @SecPompeo openly threatening to starve Iranians—a crime against humanity—in a desperate attempt to impose US whims on Iran. Like his predecessors, he’ll also learn that—in spite of US efforts—Iran will not just survive but advance w/out sacrificing its sovereignty.”
After Washington’s May 8 exit from the historic Iran Deal, the US gave 90- and 180-day wind-down periods to other countries before it starts re-imposing oil sanctions on Tehran on November 4.
Part of the US’ illegitimate sanctions were imposed on Iran on August 9.
On Monday, Trump reinstated the US nuclear sanctions on Iran and imposed, as he claimed, “the highest level” of economic bans on the Islamic Republic of Iran.
This is while other signatories of Iran Deal condemned the US’ measure to withdraw from the JCPOA.