Press TV – Israel says it has carried out an airstrike on an undisclosed region in Syria in what it claims to be a response to two rocket launches from the country.
The Israeli military released a statement on Wednesday, claiming it had targeted the rocket launcher that fired the projectiles.
The statement noted that the launcher’s surrounding areas were also targeted in the attack, but there have been no immediate reports of possible casualties or the extent of damage caused due to the Israeli raid.
On Tuesday, Israeli military forces targeted a Syrian Air Force fighter jet over the Golan Heights as it was flying in Syria’s airspace and conducting a series of airstrikes against the positions of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the occupied territories.
Israel has been on high alert in recent days as Syrian government forces advance against foreign-backed terrorists near the Golan Heights.
The Tel Aviv regime has recently increased its airstrikes in Syria. Damascus has on multiple occasions denounced the Israeli regime’s aggression and also warned about the “dangerous repercussions” of Israeli assaults on its territory.
Tel Aviv is widely believed to have been providing weapons to anti-Damascus militants as well as medical treatment to Takfiri elements wounded in Syria inside the occupied Golan Heights.
Earlier this month, Syrian air defenses repelled an Israeli attack on the country’s Quneitra province.
Back on May 10, Israel conducted what it called its most intensive airstrikes on Syria in decades. According to Russia’s Defense Ministry, Israel had used 28 warplanes in its airstrikes and fired 70 missiles. Both Damascus and Moscow said the Syrian army managed to shoot down over half of the missiles.
The Tel Aviv regime, at the time, claimed that its assault was in response to a barrage of 20 rockets fired from Syria at Israeli military outposts in Golan.