Yemeni forces fire missile at Jazan Economic City in Saudi Arabia

Press TV – Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a domestically-designed and -developed ballistic missile at a strategic economic target in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern border region of Jizan in retaliation to the Riyadh regime’s devastating military aggression against their impoverished country.

A Yemeni military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the short-range Badr-1 missile struck Jazan Economic City, located 967 kilometers southwest of the capital Riyadh, with great precision on Tuesday afternoon, Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.

Earlier in the day, Yemeni army soldiers and Popular Committees fighters had fired a ballistic missile at the supply depots of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen’s former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the country’s western coastal province of Hudaydah.

The photo, provided by the media bureau of Yemen’s operations command, shows a Yemeni missile shortly after launch.

A military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the short-range missile struck the designated target with great precision.

The source, however, did not provide further information about possible casualties and the extent of damage caused.

Also on Tuesday, Saudi military aircraft bombarded a number of residential areas across Yemen, leaving several civilians dead and injured.

At least five civilians lost their lives and eight others sustained injuries when Saudi warplanes targeted two vehicles as they were traveling along a road in Zabid town of Hudaydah province.

People search in the rubble of a house destroyed by a Saudi airstrike in Amran, Yemen, on June 25, 2018. (Photo by Reuters)

Saudi fighter jets also pounded an area in the Kitaf wa al-Boqe’e district of Yemen’s mountainous northwestern province of Sa’ada, leaving three people dead.

Two civilians were also killed and a woman and a child suffered injuries when Saudi aircraft hit a house in an area of Baqim district in the same Yemeni province.

The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured since March 2015.

The United Nations says a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.

Women and children displaced by the fighting in the Red Sea port city of Hudaydah wait at an IDPs registration center in Sana’a, Yemen, on June 27, 2018. (Photo by Reuters)

A high-ranking UN aid official recently warned against the “catastrophic” living conditions in Yemen, stating that there was a growing risk of famine and cholera there.

“People’s lives have continued unraveling. Conflict has escalated since November, driving an estimated 100,000 people from their homes,” John Ging, UN director of aid operations, told the UN Security Council on February 27.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *