Press TV – Israeli military forces have attacked the southern part of the Gaza Strip as the Tel Aviv regime presses ahead with its acts of aggression against the besieged Palestinian coastal sliver.
Arabic-language Safa news agency reported that Israeli artillery units targeted an observation post belonging to Hamas resistance movement near Burj al-Ahmar area, which is situated east of the border town of Rafah, on Friday afternoon.
There were no immediate reports of casualties and the extent of damage caused.
The development came as Palestinians are preparing to launch 5,000 incendiary balloons and kites toward occupied territories from Gaza Strip to mark Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
Meanwhile, two young Palestinian men have sustained injuries when Israeli troopers opened fire on them at the entrance to the occupied central West Bank village of Nabi Salih, located 20 kilometers northwest of Ramallah.
Palestinian media activist Mohammed al-Tamimi said Israeli soldiers, positioned inside a watchtower at the entrance to the village, fired shots at the men, both local residents of Kafreen village, on Friday morning.
One of them was struck with two bullets in the leg, while another was hit in the head and shoulder.
They were later taken to a nearby hospital to receive medical treatment, where doctors described their injuries as moderate.
The occupied territories have witnessed new tensions ever since US President Donald Trump on December 6, 2017 announced Washington’s recognition of Jerusalem al-Quds as Israel’s “capital” and said the US would move its embassy to the city.
The dramatic decision triggered demonstrations in the occupied Palestinian territories and elsewhere in the world.
The status of Jerusalem al-Quds is the thorniest issue in the decades-long Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The Palestinians see East Jerusalem al-Quds as the capital of their future state.
Moreover, at least 130 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the “Great March of Return” began in the Gaza Strip on March 30. Fourteen children are among the fallen Palestinians.
About 13,300 Palestinians also sustained injuries, of whom 300 are in a critical condition.
The Gaza clashes reached their peak on May 14, the eve of the 70th anniversary of Nakba Day (the Day of Catastrophe), which coincided this year with the US embassy relocation from Tel Aviv to occupied Jerusalem al-Quds.
On Wednesday, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a Turkish and Algerian-sponsored resolution, condemning Israel for Palestinian civilian deaths in the blockaded Gaza Strip.
The resolution, which had been put forward on the behalf of Arab and Muslim countries, garnered a strong majority of 120 votes in the 193-member assembly, with 8 votes against and 45 abstentions on Wednesday.
The resolution calls on UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to make proposals within 60 days “on ways and means for ensuring the safety, protection, and well-being of the Palestinian civilian population under Israeli occupation,” including “recommendations regarding an international protection mechanism.”
It also calls for “immediate steps towards ending the closure and the restrictions imposed by Israel on movement and access into and out of the Gaza Strip.”