May 9, The Iran Project – The US President Donald Trump decision to withdraw the United States from Iran’s nuclear deal with the world powers and re-impose sanctions against the Islamic Republic has sparked several reactions from high-ranking Iranian officials.
The top Iranian officials including President Hassan Rouhani, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani, Chief of General Staff of Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Bagheri, Commander-in-Chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, Commander-in-Chief of Army Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi slammed the move so far, reassured that the Iranian people not to have any worries about the future of the country.
Talking on Iranian TV minutes after US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal, President Rouhani said from now on, the deal is an agreement between Iran and five countries.
“I have also ordered Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) to go ahead with adequate preparations to resume enrichment at the industrial level without any limit,” President Rouhani stated.
Meanwhile, Iran’s foreign minister tweeted that:” In response to US persistent violations and unlawful withdrawal from the nuclear deal, as instructed by President Rouhani, I will spearhead a diplomatic effort to examine whether remaining JCPOA participants can ensure its full benefits for Iran.”
Zarif went on to stress “ the outcome will determine our response.”
Speaking in Parliament open session, Ali Larijani said what US President Trump does is an embarrassment for a nation that claims to be the leader of the world, noting that Americans have been caught up by a president who lacks political experience.
Commander Baqeri also asserted that JCPOA was not a favorable choice for the Islamic Republic, adding “Iran signed the accord to prove its goodwill to the international community.”
Baqeri quoted US Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis as saying “since Trump has taken office, he has repeatedly pushed me to prepare for an invasion on Iran.”
In a meantime,ّI RGC Chief-Commander Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari says the Iran nuclear deal will eventually collapse, as he believes European parties to the accord will fail to distance themselves from the US and side with Iran.
General Jafari said he is pleased with US walking out of the deal, as the nuclear accord had already been violated by Washington and Iran was not benefiting from it.
Moreover, Major General Mousavi reiterated that the greatest damage of the JCPOA was to ‘legitimize’ and ‘sit down at the negotiating table’ with the US; a damage that was shared by other countries which have ever decided to negotiate with Washington.
“If we stand firm on our principled positions, we will be the ultimate victors on the ground,” he concluded.
US President Donald Trump announced his decision about the Iran Deal on May 8 and withdrew his country unilaterally from the international agreement. Many world powers including Russia, China, and European Union are against Trump’s decision.