Press TV – Yemeni army forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired at least eight domestically-manufactured ballistic missiles at a number of “economic and vital targets” in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern border region of Jizan in retaliation for the Saudi regime’s campaign against the impoverished country, Yemeni media report.
Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, citing a military source, reported that the short-range Badr-1 ballistic missiles were launched on Saturday morning, adding that the projectiles had hit the designated “economic and vital targets” in the region with great precision.
The report of missile attack, which was also carried by Yemen’s official Saba news agency, provided no further details on the exact locations of the targets and the possible casualties and the extent of damage caused.
The Houthi Ansarullah movement, which plays a significant role in supporting the Yemeni army against the war imposed by a Saudi-led coalition, recently vowed to avenge the killing of one of their top leaders, Saleh al-Samad, in a Saudi airstrike last week.
On Monday, Yemeni forces also launched a pair of domestically-made Badr 1-type ballistic missiles against oil facilities that belong to energy giant Aramco in Jizan. The attack was carried out following bombardment of a wedding ceremony in Yemen’s Hajjah province by Saudi jets late on Sunday, which claimed the lives of over 30 civilians, including women and children.
Yemeni forces regularly fire ballistic missile at positions inside Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the Riyadh-led campaign.
Saudi Arabia often claims that it intercepts incoming Yemeni missiles, but a close study of evidence by The New York Times last year clearly suggested that in one of the most high-profile of such Yemeni missile attacks, the projectile, launched deep into Saudi territory, had in fact landed unimpeded, bypassing American-made Patriot missiles and potentially other defenses used by Riyadh. Saudi Arabia claimed that it had foiled that attack, which targeted the Riyadh airport.
Earlier on Saturday, Saudi media reported that several Houthi figures had been killed in an airstrike on Sana’a on Friday evening.
Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television network also said a total of 38 Houthis had lost their lives in the strike that had targeted an interior ministry building. Riyadh-based Al Ekhbariya TV channel also claimed that two high-ranking Houthis were among the victims.
The Saudi-led war began in March 2015 in support of a former Riyadh-friendly Yemeni regime.
The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured until then.
The Saudi-led countries engaged in the war on Yemen have also blockaded the already-impoverished country.
The United Nations says a record 22.2 million people in Yemen are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.