IRNA – An Iranian official said here on Wednesday that over 7,000 victims of the quake in western province of Kermanshah, in the first 20 hours after the incident, were transferred to medical centers where they received 100 organ transplants and 8,400 surgeries.
Talking to IRNA, caretaker of Iran’s Center for Medical Emergency Services Pir Hossein Kolivand said this amount of surgeries and transfer of the injured in 20 hours is considered to be an unprecedented record in the country.
Kolivand said that most of the injuries were caused due to trauma and by being trapped under debris from damaged structures.
He added that the emergency workers immediately rushed to the scene and rendered relief services, necessary medical equipment, medicine, blood and blood products to the quake-hit victims in Kermanshah province.
Kolivand said that six field hospitals have been established in quake-hit areas in collaboration with Health Ministry and armed forces, which are equipped with operating rooms, surgical areas, labs, radiology, two separate wards for men and women, ICU and CCUU.
The latest reports released on Wednesday on the 7.3 magnitude earthquake that hit Kermanshah Sunday (Nov 12) night, said that it has so far claimed at least 432 lives and injured over 9,388 others.
The fatal quake occurred at 21:48 hour local time (18:18 GMT). The epicenter of the quake was registered at 34.86 degrees latitude and 45.9 degrees longitude, at the depth of 11km, a shallow depth that can cause tremendous damage, in Ezgeleh region in Kermanshah Province.