Tasnim– Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said records of the naval forces’ warning to an American military vessel in the Sea of Oman earlier this month could be released if necessary.
“We will powerfully warn anyone with any (level of) power, who approaches our territorial waters, and we will not allow them to get near our territorial waters,” Sayyari told reporters in Tehran on Wednesday, referring to a recent move by the Iranian naval forces to warn an American military vessel to stay away from a drowning Iranian fishing boat.
“The records of the warning to this American vessel is available and, if necessary, we will release them,” he added.
The remarks came after the US Navy denied reports of any confrontation or contact with the Iranian forces.
In a recent statement, US Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) said the coastal patrol USS Tempest, operating in the Gulf of Oman on September 6, heard the distress call of an unidentified small boat about 75 nautical miles from the Tempest’s position.
At the same time the motor vessel Nordic Voyager, much closer to the boat in distress, offered help and had made visual contact with it. The Tempest offered to support the Nordic Voyager, which declined the offer, NAVCENT said.
“At no time was there any direct contact between the US and Iranian maritime forces,” NAVCENT spokesman Chloe Morgan claimed.