MNA – Parliament has responded to Plasco collapse for the first time with establishment of a specialist committee to carry out an investigation into the heart of the incident.
Mr. Alaeddin Boroujerdi who was visiting Plasco site told reporters on Sunday that the committee was decreed by Parliament speaker to address the incident; “Interior Minister Rahmani Fazli provided comments about the incident to Parliament National Security and Foreign Policy Commission; with rubble clearing operation, some light will be shed to the darker sides of the incident in the upcoming days,” he told the press.
Boroujerdi added that Parliament would debate the legal requirements of a bill to introduce firefighting as a ‘high-risk’ job, if the legal and constitutional grounds were missing; “buildings similar to Plasco have been distributed in many areas of Tehran; the owners should be accosted by the city authorities to mandate immediate addressing of the safety challenges,” he briefly said.
Earlier Minister of Intelligence Mahmoud Alavi dismissed any sign of sabotage and deliberate destruction of Plasco building, caught fire and collapsed on Thursday.
Visiting the site of the collapsed Plasco high-rise in downtown Tehran on Saturday evening, Minister of Intelligence Mahmoud Alavi told reporters that up to this moment we have faced no signs, information or indication of sabotage and deliberate destruction of Plasco building.
He added, we consider all the evidences and signs to take necessary measures in case the incident is a terrorist act.
“In the early hours of the incident, there were speculations of a terrorist attack, however, all the signs and evidences were examined and the chance was rejected,” he noted.
The 17-storey trade center, dating from the early 1960s and including a shopping centre and clothing workshops, caught fire on Thursday morning and collapsed in three hours.
The rescue operations are ongoing since the early hours of tragic incident; rescuers have retrieved three dead bodies of firefighters as their colleagues were looking for possible survivors with specialized life detectors.
Tehran Mayor Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the debris removal will last a week within a specified time.
He added seven families have referred so far to the police stations to inform their missing members.
Tehran Mayor Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf attendd the Plasco site on Sunday to supervise the rescue operations.
Tehran Firefighting Department Spokesperson says rescuers found firefighters’ tools and clothes, but no body had been found yet.