Ban Ki-moon’s decision indicates UN double standard in human rights

Tehran, June 14, The Iran Project – An Iranian lawyer says recent decision of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to remove Saudi Arabia from a blacklist of groups violating children’s rights shows the organization’s double standard and political expediency.

Speaking to a reporter on Tuesday, Hossein Mir Mohammad Sadeghi, Legal Assistant of Strategic Research Center of the Expediency Council referred to the UN’s recent action on putting Saudi Arabia in blacklist for violating children’s rights in Yemen and removing it after a few days and said this indicates UN’s double standard and political expediency since no one doubts that what happened in Yemen is a collection of various crime, like war crimes, crimes against humanity, and even genocide.

Saudi regime attacked the people of Yemen under the excuse thatthey are Houthis and from a special race, Hosseini said, stressing that this is the most serious crime in the criminal law and perpetrators face heavy penalties.

Faisal bin Hassan Trad & Michael Moller

Faisal bin Hassan Trad (L), the Saudi envoy to the UN Office at Geneva (UNOG), presents his credentials to Michael Møller, acting director-general of UNOG on January 7, 2014.

He went on to say that in the crimes that Saudis committed in Yemen, most of the victims were naturally children but Ban Ki-moon ignored the fact and said he had to remove the country from the UN’s blacklist.

Hassan Hannizadeh the Middle East Expert also said yesterday that UN decisions are irrational and under the influence of powerful countries and external pressures, so Ban Ki-moon’s recent action greatly damages UN’s credibility.

According to the UN report as published on 2 June, the Saudi Arabia-led coalition was responsible for 60% of child deaths and injuries in the Yemen conflict last year, killing 510 and wounding 667 when Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against the country.

Last month, the Saudi-led coalition was put on a blacklist over its role in this crime by UN.

According to some diplomatic sources, Saudi Arabia and its allies have threatened to cut off funding to UN programs if the body keeps the kingdom in the blacklist.