TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran’s Judiciary Spokesman Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei blasted a Canadian court’s ruling to seize Iran’s assets under the pretext of support for so-called terrorist activities, describing it as contradictory to the international laws.
“Such moves are violating the international laws and are adopted by certain western states, headed by the US,” Ejei told reporters in a press conference in Tehran on Sunday.
“This issue is groundless and if these countries don’t pay attention to the international laws, it will backfire on them,” he added.
Ejei called on the government to pursue the case seriously through diplomacy.
In relevant remarks on Saturday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari also lambasted the Canadian court’s ruling, and said, “Such a move is at odds with Ottawa’s claims on the normalization of bilateral relations.”
Canada’s Ontario Supreme Court issued a political ruling to confirm a verdict for confiscation of $13 million of Iranian assets on the baseless allegation that Iran has supported the terrorist groups.
The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman said that the recognition and enforcement of the politically motivated and in absentia rulings of the US courts, which have been confirmed by the Supreme Court of Canada’s Ontario State runs in contradiction with the international commitments of the Canadian government per the principles and rules of the international law on judicial immunity of governments and their properties.
Jaberi Ansari reiterated that Canada’s court ruling is in contradiction with statement of the new government of Canada willing to normalize bilateral relations and making up for the extremist policies of the former government of Canada.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran holds the Canadian government responsible for ignoring the commitments,” the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman added.
Jaberi Ansari underlined that Iran will reserve the right to take necessary measures to restore its legitimate rights, seeking compensation for the damages inflicted on the Iranian properties.
In March, Canada’s Foreign Minister Stéphane Dion said that his country’s 2012 move to cut diplomatic ties with Iran has had no positive consequences, expressing willingness for re-engagement with the Islamic Republic.
“Canada’s severing of ties with Iran had no positive consequences for anyone: not for Canadians, not for the people of Iran, not for Israel, and not for global security,” Stéphane Dion said while addressing an international conference at the University of Ottawa.
The administration of former Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper severed diplomatic ties with Iran in September 2012, citing, among other pretexts, what it described as “continued threats from Iran to Israel.”
Dion said, “Canada’s embassy in Iran has been closed for over three years. With which results? Is it right to need to count on Italy to protect our interests in this country?”
This came after Jaberi Ansari welcomed Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s interest in resuming ties with Tehran, but said Ottawa needs to take practical steps to this end.
“The Canadian government should show in practice that it intends to establish equal relations with Iran that is based on non-interference and mutual respect,” Jaberi Ansari said last month.
He further reminded that it was the former Canadian government that unilaterally suspended its relations with Tehran, reminding that practical measures should be initiated by Ottawa.
Canada maintains an interest section in the Italian embassy in Iran.
“Today, Canada must return to Iran to play a useful role in that region of the world… We are being asked by all sides to reengage, and we are doing so,” Dion said.
Referring to the implementation of a nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries, Dion said that, “The deal has significantly constrained and rolled back Iran’s nuclear program and ensured ongoing and robust verification by the International Atomic Energy Agency” (IAEA) of Iran’s compliance with the accord.
The agreement, called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was reached between the Islamic Republic and the P5+1 countries — the United States, France, Britain, Russia, China plus Germany — on July 14, 2015, in Vienna, Austria. It went into effect on January 16.
“Canada should have strongly supported the efforts of our allies,” the Canadian foreign minister said in reference to the P5+1 group.
Dion further said that, “In line with the approach taken by the majority of our allies and like-minded (countries}, we also amended our unilateral sanctions.”
“Unilateral sanctions [against Iran] maintained by Canada alone would be ineffective against Iran, and would have negative consequences for many Canadian families and businesses,” Dion said.
Dion further expressed willingness for the reopening of Canada’s embassy in Iran.
By Fars News Agency