TEHRAN (FNA)- Tehran rejected again media reports on negotiations with Washington on Iran’s defense and missile programs in return for the country’s access to the US dollar.
“Such an issue has never been raised in official talks and just appeared in some media reports,” Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman said in his weekly press conference in Tehran on Monday.
He underlined that the country’s missile program is being developed based on its defensive needs, and reiterated that striking an “agreement with any country or power on Iran’s defense program will be impossible”.
Jaberi Ansari, meantime, stressed that development of Iran’s missile and defensive programs is not meant to harm anyone.
In similar remarks earlier this month, Jaberi Ansari had rejected such talks, adding, “During the nuclear negotiations (with the world powers), the other side insisted on talks over this issue (Iran’s defense and missile program) but it was not accepted by Iran, and this is the Islamic Republic of Iran’s permanent policy, and no matter how much the other side repeats this position and policy, the Islamic Republic’s fixed and principled policy in this regard will not change.”
Noting that Iran is developing defense and missile program in line with its natural security needs, he said, “This issue is not in the content and framework of the talks and agreement with any actor and any other government in the world.”
Jaberi Ansari underlined that Iran has always proved that its policies are for defensive purposes, reminding that Tehran hasn’t made any aggression against any other country.
His remarks came after Iran announced early May that it has test-fired a new ballistic missile with a range of 2,000km.
On March 9, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) successfully fired ballistic missiles as part of measures to assess its capabilities. Iran says its missiles are for defense and designed to carry conventional explosives only.
In relevant remarks in April, Lieutenant Commander of the Iranian Army Brigadier General Abdolrahim Moussavi underlined that the country will continue developing its defense programs without paying heed to the West’s hue and cry.
“We do not need anyone’s permission to boost our defensive capabilities and we are always on alert to carry out orders of the Chief Commander of the Armed Forces (Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei) and take honor in having the Iranian nation’s support,” General Moussavi said last month.
General Moussavi pointed to the enemies’ threats against Iran, and said, “Whenever there are all-out threats, there should also be all-out defense.”
“Everyone should see himself in the trench of defense to fight enemies’ threats and all officials should take this important and basic principle into serious consideration and make efforts in this regard,” he added.
General Moussavi warned that there are serious threats posed to the Islamic Republic of Iran in all areas.
He said that the enemies use any opportunity to strike a blow at the Islamic System, and said, “The US uses any opportunity to penetrate into the Islamic system and this has always been visible in political, military, economic, cultural and social fields.”
By Fars News Agency